[linux-audio-user] System Setup

From: <j.t.sledge@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 12:10:53 EEST

Hello.

First of all. I am new to the mailing list thing, so forgive me for any fumbling/mumbling that might occur.

I have been trying to setup a somewhat stable audio workstation to learn the capabilites of linux audio software. Specificially, hard-disk recording with ardour, and
also the assiciated dsp and editor application that one would use commony. rever, EQ, etc.

I have setup a seperate system for that purpose:
3Ghz 1MB cache on Intel 915 Motherbaord, 1Gig dual chanes CAS 2-2-2 Mushkin Black LII memory, basic radeon pci card, and Audiophile 2496 card.

My problem is that none of the distros out there seem to like this 915 chipset.
All of the 2.6 kernels have something weird going on , where they see dual-proccessor, with hyper-threading but the system takes for ever to boot.

This happens on Fedora Core 3, Mandrake 10.1, and Mandrivia 10.1 (Mandrake 10.2), and the debian, based demudi distri. The most success has been with the demudi software.

Does anybody know, if I am to use the horsepower of this new equipment with linux, am I going to have to go to something like gentoo, and build everything from scratch?