Re: [linux-audio-user] New hardware choice

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 22:20:54 EEST

On Thursday 12 May 2005 15:58, Lee Revell wrote:
> If you want it to Just Work I would say wait a year or get a 32 bit
> system.

Agreed... sort of. I don't think you can put together a good reliable
true 64-bit system just yet. On the other hand, the Athlon 64 is also
pretty damn good in 32-bit mode.

I'm typing this on an Athlon 64 system with a purely 32-bit distro on it
(Studio to Go! needless to say) and it works very well for audio use.
It's a laptop, with an Echo Indigo I/O soundcard.

> I would recommend to use the onboard video

Or get a dual-head digital-out Matrox card and two LCD panels. (The
video cards are dirt cheap, but of course you need to be able to afford
and house two screens.) I don't use that setup on my own desktop, but
I wish I did...

Chris