Re: [linux-audio-user] New hardware choice

From: Emiliano Grilli <emillo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 10:41:44 EEST

gioved?, 12 maggio 2005 alle 10:42:48, Paul Coccoli ha scritto:
> > gioved?, 12 maggio 2005 alle 06:44:44, lanas ha scritto:
> > > Is a mixer needed ?
> >
> > IMHO yes, absolutely. Especially if you have external sources to record
> > and route to the PC. You can find very cheap ones from behringer (under
> > 100 eur). Also here the more you can afford (usually) the best it will
> > sound, and the more channels/features it will have. Remember that you will
> > get out of channels sooner or later ;) If you plan to use condenser
> > microphones the mixer should provide phantom power. Another plus is the
> > presence of channel inserts (or direct outs, but this is often found on
> > not-so-small mixers only) and assignable submasters.
> > Good mixer makers are soundcraft and makie.
> >

> I respectfully disagree here. I prefer dedicated mic-pres over a
> mixer. I have a small Behringer mixer, but it's not flexible enough
> to be useful. I usually run two outputs of my Delta 66 to it and just
> use it for monitoring.

I get your point, but I think that for the same price a mixer gives you
more flexibility than a mic pre... maybe a little less quality in
sound... and it depends also on what you want to do. Obviously if you
have only 2 mics and record 2 tracks a time with acoustic instruments, a
mic pre is the right choice. But if you have more sources (some
expanders, a drum machine, a cd player, a dat, whatever...) what you do
with a 2ch pre? Do you swap the cables each time?

Let's consider two behringer products:

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw8_behringer_t1953_tube_ultragain_prodinfo.html
(139 eur)

and

http://www.thomann.de/thoiw8_behringer_ub1204pro_eurorack_prodinfo.html#fpix
(111 eur)

With the first you surely get a better sound, but you get 2 channels
instead of 12 !!!

It depends on the use, but if I'm told "in what order would you buy
those 2 products"? I would surely get the mixer first.
And is clear that we are talking about low budget products... so does
matter also what kind of microphone you are going to connect to it...

Regards,

--
Emiliano Grilli
Linux user #209089