Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI keyboard recommendations?

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 10:37:43 EEST

October wrote:
> Some of the google searchs I've read seem to be of the
> opinion that USB MIDI under linux is not yet ready for
> prime time.

That's wrong.

> Would my live drive (with MIDI ports) suffice ...?

Yes. Connecting a keyboard with MIDI would be much cheaper than
having to buy a separate USB MIDI interface. This doesn't prevent you
from using a USB MIDI keyboard directly, of course. :)

> what sort of flaming hoops can I expect to jump through
> in regards to getting drivers and such in place?

You wouldn't need any driver for MIDI keyboards (the MIDI port is
handled by the snd-emu10k1 driver). USB MIDI keyboard from Edirol,
Evolution and Yamaha work with the standard snd-usb-audio driver.
For M-Audio USB devices, you would need to install a separate firmware
loader.

> I've been considering some of the Edirol products.
> Will all the extra knobs and sliders be useful under
> linux or this a waste of money?

These can be used to control parameters of your synthesizer in real
time. For example, ALSA's SB wavetable synthesizer has the following
controls: volume, expression, pan, pitch bend, vibrato, filter cutoff/
resonance, attack, release.

HTH
Clemens