Re: [linux-audio-user] midi automation and scripting tools?

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas <pedro.lopez.cabanillas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 23:56:07 EEST

On Tuesday 17 May 2005, Stuart Allie wrote:
> I'm looking for tools that can do things like this to a midi file:
[...]
> I'd also like to be able to do the usual audio automation and simple
> effects applied to midi: compression/expansion (of the velocity values),
> echo, pitch shifting, fade-in/out, LFO-pans, ...
[...]
> So, does any body know of any tools out there that can *readily* do
> these things? I'm happy with a scripting-language type approach, or a
> gui, or a combination.

Some of these operations should be easy to do with scripts. The difficult
part is to process SMF files. I recommend you to first convert the MIDI files
into text, and then process the text using Perl or Python. Here are several
tools for text-based MIDI processing:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=MidiComp

Regards,
Pedro