Re: [linux-audio-user] CLI mixer for envy24 cards?

From: tommy <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 21:16:08 EEST

Edward Barrow schrieb:

> Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>
>> Quoting Edward Barrow <edward@email-addr-hidden>:
>>

>>> I've got a Terratec DMX 6-fire card (ice1712/envy24 chipset) running
>>> in a headless box with no X; I control it from the commandline over
>>> ssh.
>>

>> Does the box you command it from have X? You could then open the
>> envy24mixer
>> from the remote machine to the X server running on the "client".
>>
>> To enable X11 forwarding from the ssh client do:
>>
>> ssh -X user@email-addr-hidden
>>
>> You might need to enable X11 in the server sshd config, in debian:
>> add or
>> uncomment the line:
>>
>> X11Forwarding yes
>>
>> in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>>
>> Sampo
>>

> I was rather hoping I wouldn't have to do this... I have a sinking
> feeling that it won't be anything like as easy as your email suggests.
>
> (which a quick test confirms: needless to say it didn't work first time!)

well.... on my debian unstable home-machine, it was that easy.
two things:

a)i did not have to add or uncomment the line, but i had to change a
"no" to "yes" in that line.
if u just add the line w/ yes on beginning of the config file, this
probably won't work, if there is a line w/ "no" later.
b) has your System a base X system installed? you need @ least xlib and
base utilities.

perhaps u can install xterm, and then the dependencies will
automatically install the required packages.

c) if your network is secure (blah...), try the following:
    1) on yr X machine, type "xhost +" in some terminal
    2) on yr headless machine, type "export DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0",
where 192.168.1.2 is yr X machines ip address
    3) "xterm" or something.

yes, i know, this won't answer yr question, but anyway, i hpe it'll help
you.

-Tommy