Re: [linux-audio-user] voicemail?

From: M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 23:55:29 EEST

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:18, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:55:18PM -0400, M P Smoak wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 May 2005 04:14, Mario Lang wrote:
> > > M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > > [...]
  <snip>

Please note that the difference in loudness is not my major concern;
size and cross platform use is.

> > > I'D suggest asterisk. IF you can manage to route your
> > > conference call through asterisk, you can nicely record
> > > calls with gsm compression. The resulting files are small,
> > > and the sound quality is good, and you get the same
> > > loudness for both ends...
> >
> > Am I confused or are you? Isn't asterick for internet
> > telephone servers? We are not setting up a server or
> > interested in internet telephone. We want to use record
> > from conventional phones on desktop computers, not servers.
> > I just don't see where asterick could apply.
>
> asterisk is a complete open source PBX (private branch
> exchange) solution. With the approriate hardware it can handle
> connections both to the plain old/public switched telephone
> network as well as voice over the internet.

I'm shooting for a system on my Planet workstation that I can
use to support a team who are probably all windows users. We have
no problem connecting to the phone network; we pickup the handset
on our desk phone or our cell phone. We conference call now.

What it's looking like now is I'll use ogg files. Record, balance,
shrink. Requires my folks to get winamp; no big deal. I'm still
a unixnewbi but I think try to make a script that will somewhat
automate the sequence and handle the call loging and history.

And I can hope that others on our team can have a similar ability
on their windows systems; Audacity is cross platform and works
well on my system. (and I wonder: should I go mp3? sigh..)

Thanks for listening,
Marv

ps Does ogg2mp3 exist?