Re: [linux-audio-user] voicemail?

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 25 2005 - 20:18:52 EEST

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 12:55:18PM -0400, M P Smoak wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 04:14, Mario Lang wrote:
> > M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden> writes:
> > [...]
> > > In my work I use telephone in similar ways. In both cases,
> > > phone calls are data. In both cases, the calls are usually
> > > "team interactions" and often the team wants to keep minutes
> > > of the meeting.
> > > Right now we have need to replace the tape recorder with a
> > > linux recorder. So I've hooked-up the old RadioShack adapter
> > > to mic in for the SBlive and have experimented with reZound
> > > (ver 0.11.1beta), one channel using qamix. And it works; a
> > > 10 minute .rez file is about 100 meg, a shows an large
> > > difference in loudness between the local and remote callers,
> > > as expected.
> > I'D suggest asterisk. IF you can manage to route your
> > conference call through asterisk, you can nicely record calls
> > with gsm compression. The resulting files are small, and the
> > sound quality is good, and you get the same loudness for both
> > ends...
> Am I confused or are you? Isn't asterick for internet telephone
> servers? We are not setting up a server or interested in internet
> telephone. We want to use record from conventional phones on
> desktop computers, not servers. I just don't see where asterick
> could apply.

asterisk is a complete open source PBX (private branch exchange)
solution. With the approriate hardware it can handle connections both to
the plain old/public switched telephone network as well as voice over the
internet.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia