Re: [linux-audio-user] VMWare for Music

From: <ross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 02:17:04 EEST

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 05:27:09AM +0000, ix@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> vmware pretty much sucks for audio even at v5.0, but only because they dont care - its virtually impossible to get it to play anything without dropouts, due to the extraordinarily short buffer it uses. i messed with /proc/asound OSS-emu buffersize stuff a bit before giving up..seems hardcoded in vmware..

That's a bummer. I had hoped I might be able to avoid having to
setup another dual boot setup or buy another machine. VMWare seemed
like a promising route and the installation of Cakewalk went really
smoothly. It's just utterly silent ::-).

Bochs seems to have more promising hardware support, but since it
works like a simulator, it's performance is veeeerry slllooow.

Didn't work under Wine either - Cakewalk crashes if I have any of the
Windows core fonts installed. Oddly enough, if only the music
notation font is installed it works... but I can't read anything!

Prospects look dim at this point...

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@email-addr-hidden