Re: [linux-audio-user] Syncing Ardour + Hydrogen so Hydrogen willfollow Ardour tempo change

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 07:44:04 EEST

Noah Roberts wrote:
>>>I dunno if this'll work for your purposes, but what I'd do is create the
>>>proper tempo map in ardour, create a beat in hydrogen of the right tempo
>>>for the section, export it as a .wav and import it into ardour - that's how
>>>i do all my hydrogen stuff with ardour
>>
>>but this way you can't simply change things as you like in realtime, i don't
>>like this. sync out/in has to work so that both programs can be used in
>>realtime rather making wave files each time which is ok if you are doing your
>>final mixdown.
>>

> How are you going to anyway? Hydrogen kind of wigs out when you start
> altering the tempo during play. Doing it in ardour would probably be
> too slow; then again it might actually work if you did it far enough
> ahead...I don't know. Usually though you have some idea what the
> tempo is before you record. When would you use 'realtime' tempo
> changing and how would it work?

what joachim's saying is true - if i'm reading what he means correctly.
noah - i think he means that syncing between, say, ardour/jack/hydrogen
should enable dynamic (?) tempos - that is, if you set a change in tempo
in the ardour tempo strip at the 12th bar from 80 > 90 bpm, then
hydrogen should folow that tempo change accordingly ... i'm not sure if
this is what the current setup is supposed to do but just can't manage,
or if it's a feature that isn't possible yet with jack ...

i don't know - i find things like tempo/measure/time signature really
confusing. it does the same thing to my brain that the start and end of
daylight savings time does.

shayne