Re: [linux-audio-user] light multitrack recording

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 27 2005 - 17:38:37 EEST

On 27 May 2005 at 10:03, "Peter Lutek" <plutek@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> i'm wondering what you all would recommend as the least resource-consuming
> (in terms of cpu/memory usage) method for multitrack recording. i need to
> record 18 channels (each to its own file) of 44.1kHz float audio in a live
> setting, while simultaneously running some looping and FX, so i'd like to
> keep the recording chain as lean as possible.
>
> curiously, my tests have shown significantly lower average system load
> using ardour than using ecasound. i was surprised by this, having assumed
> that ecasound would be the solution. so now i'm wondering if other options
> might be even better than ardour. maybe a recorder built in pd? i do need
> metering, preferably with resettable peak indicators.

I'd go with ardour. There are some LADSPA plugin meters that
will do what you want. I too find ardour to have surprisingly
light load on my 2GHz Celeron with 1GB of RAM. What soundcard(s)
are you using for your 18 channels? I'm using an 8ch M-audio
Delta 1010. I expect you might need/have RME gear with all of
those channels. Join the ardour list if you want to learn more
about that.

G'luck....

--
Kevin