Re: [linux-audio-user] Delta 1010

From: Joachim Schiele <joachim@email-addr-hidden-sequencer.org>
Date: Wed Jun 01 2005 - 18:56:57 EEST

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 15:57, Robert Jonsson wrote:
> Hi Joachim,
>
> On Wednesday 01 Jun 2005 14:59, Joachim Schiele wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 June 2005 14:46, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> > > my delta 66 handles 32 frames just fine :) I can even go down to 8
> > > [just running jack though. haven't used it for anything serious, as the
> > > idle cycle load is already at 20% with this on my 1.2 ghz athlon :). no
> > > xruns though]
> > >
> > > As the delta 1010 is basically the same chip afaik, it should give
> > > identical results..
> >
> > So one question still remains: what advantage(s) would a RME card have
> > compared to M-Audio?
> I use a Delta 44 all the time, they are very well functioning with good
> sound quality.
> I'd expect that you would be able to get even better sound quality using an
> RME card... though at a considerably higher price.
>
> Several years ago we did some work (at my day job) with Hammerfall cards
> and I recall that these cards provide their data in an noninterleaved
> format. Since this is what you generally want it is possible the CPU load
> will go down since decoding/encoding isn't necessary.

Hey Robert, nice to meet you here!

I think i'll buy something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46961&item=7326210154&rd=1

Compared to the M-Audio device it has good quality and can later be used with
a laptop. But there is one thing that I don't understand yet.
Most devices have I/Os but can a Input be also a Output? In that case there
has to be a DA and a AD on the same port. So this device has 8 INs and 8
OUTs which can be used full duplex.

I think that's what I would need.

Greets,
Joachim Schiele