Re: [linux-audio-user] smart loops - what are they and how to use them?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Jun 05 2005 - 13:21:24 EEST

> I have this CD with 'smart loops', full of short music
> samples (just on hit or short patterns/riffs, wav format),
> it says it works with various music programs (AFAIK none of
> them available for linux).

If it is wav, you can use it in various programs like MuSE,
maybe Rosegarden (if it supports audio?) or even Ardour.

> How exactly are these samples smart? I mean does it mean
> anything or is it just some marketing buzzword?

Half and half. Sample libraries are usually taken at exactly
the same speed (maybe 120BPM) and cut so you can easily loop
them or assemble them on consecutive bars of an arrangement.

So, the samples are well prepared which needs some work, but
as soon as you buy a sample library this should be part of
the product.

> Which linux
> program can work with them? Any sampler? Or is there
> anything special about them that some programs can use?

If it is wav, no. It should also be possible to use the files
as a base for samples, but personally I dislike to press a
key on my keyboard and get a complete riff played.

Best regards

    ce