Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: VMWare for Music

From: <ross@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 07:52:26 EEST

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:29:47AM +0200, Alexandre DENIS wrote:
> I have used a dual-boot system for a long time: Windows for audio, Linux
> for anything else. Now, I want to switch to Linux even for audio, but
> I'm still in a transitional phase. I have been a Cakewalk user for 15
> years since my old Cakewalk Apprentice, and thus I have accumulated a
> lot of audio work in Cakewalk format (not readable in any Linux
> software), with tracks using the Cakewalk Direct X plugins (Direct X,
> not VST, so no jack_fst or whatever).

To avoid the dual-boot scenario again, I'm thinking about acquiring
another box in the coming months. My plan goes like this:

1) buy small box that is MIDI capable and has SPDIF out
2) Replace my Delta44 with something that has SPDIF
3) Hook up all my instruments to the new Windows machine with Cakewalk
4) Hook all the audio up to my Gnu/Linux box with Ardour/soft synths
5) Link the two boxes via MIDI

It'll be a bummer to have to go back to Windows, but cakewalk not only
have my favorite notation editor that I've ever used, but also the
only one I ever found remotely usable for composition. The
combination will let me use all the fabulous soft synths and Ardour
though.

Hopefully it'll be transitory until Rosegarden's notation editor
improves, but I think it'll let me get back to music. Now if I just
had money to throw around at machines.... ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross@email-addr-hidden