Re: [linux-audio-user] disaster day #1

From: Jeremiah Benham <jjbenham@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 15:32:47 EEST

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 08:10:34PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I've been having some problems with my desktop machine during and
> after booting into Planet CCRMA RH9. At first I started getting some
> kernel panics booting into the system, then I started having trouble
> during operation of the system. X would suddenly freeze shortly after I
> started it, usually after the first mouse move.

I had the exact same problems the other day. One of my problems appeared to be a
curropt partition table. I thought I was experiencing hard drive
failure. I don't think it booted from a knoppix disk unless I removed my hard
drive for some reason. I later bought a new drive and installed debian
on it and then installed my old drive. I booted from the new disk and
was able to mount /dev/hdb6 my old home partition. I extreacted it from
there. I later repartitioned/reformated the entire disk with the mke2fs -c -c option
to find out that it did not report any bad blocks at all. Yeah but
accessing the drive with the corrupt partition table would make linux
crash.

Jeremiah