Re: [linux-audio-user] effects processor setup

From: MarC <marc_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 00:18:13 EEST

En/na Christoph Eckert ha escrit:

>Hi,
>

>>for guitar-bass creox is also a good choice.
>>

>I just installed it and it immediately froze my machine ;-) .
>
>But anyway, after a restart I was back in business. Grant me a
>question: Can it replace a complete amplifier unit for
>E-guitars, and especially for basses?!?

*I'm not an expert.* In fact, I asked the same question some time ago to
this list... Now that I have read *a little bit* of audio processing
literature, my conclusion is:
I don't think so. Speakers, cabinets and noisy complex non-linear amps
are awesome but very hard to emulate with software.
I have also tried many LADSPA plugins, windoze plugins, everything and
it never replaces a real cool amp. But if you accept that the sound will
be different from a real amp, you make like it...

>If so I'd like to buy a bass because my MIDI basses never
>sound like a real bass in any arrangement. If creox would
>save me buying an amplifier I'd buy a bass.

IMHO MIDI or sample based programs will never be able to model a
string-intrument if they are keyboard-triggered. common sense.

>BTW: The latest package is from 2003. Doesn't seem that
>there's lot of activity...

yap, i've just seen this now.
at the end of the http://zyzstar.kosoru.com/?creox site there's a list
of other interesting programs and
I'd also suggest ecamegapedal

Although my choice is to play the guitar with ardour (although it's
unstable), because it allows you to record, play with the metronome and
is very usable.