Re: [linux-audio-user] rtlimits - help?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 18:20:18 EEST

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 13:27 +0200, Florian Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i was wondering if anyone could give me a summary of how rtlimit works
> [i myself still use the realtime lsm]. I'm in the process of moving my
> old wiki stuff to a wordpress installation and have also created a page
> about rtlimit, but it's still lacking content [i got jonathan's
> announcement mails on set_rtlimit on it though].
>
> I'm still missing the big picture: What exactly is rtlimit and how does
> it work? Is it in the same vein as ulimit?

Yes this is exactly what it is. Previously you had rlimits (set by PAM
at login, or manually via ulimit) for max locked memory, max open files,
etc. Now there's a new one for max RT priority. It's even simpler than
realtime LSM IMHO because it doesn't introduce a new API.

Some buggy apps like Audacity seem to not be able to handle this,
because they try to create their own watchdog thread at RT priority 99.
If the rlimit is set to 90 they will succeed at creating the DSP threads
but fail to create the watchdog thread.

Lee