[linux-audio-user] Re: What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 19 2005 - 20:20:56 EEST

Dave Phillips:

> Greetings:
>
> The subject says it all.
>
> My own "Linux audio sucks" hobbyhorse:
>
> No way to recall a complex configuration of apps and plugins with
> all settings intact. If I use a complicated setup with multiple synths
> and plugins I have no way to recall these applications to their previous
> settings. LASH/LADCCA was supposed to address this situation but I don't
> know where that project stands at this point.
>
> And your favorite is... ?

Right now: artsd and flashplayer

artsd because it currently on the machine I'm working with right now
continouisly tries to start. When I kill it, it starts again, for
mysterious reasons, only seconds later. Sometimes, it is even owned by
root, and I have to kill it as root. Even that doesnt help, it starts
again and again and again.

flashplayer because it lives inside a browser and should not have been
allowed to occupy the soundcard. Sometimes, the only way to get sound (in
proper programs, like jack), is to exit the browser.

The first one is because of some crazy bug or design or whatever. The
second one can probably be fixed somehow. However, it probably all goes
down to the current long discussion about finding a common sound-server
thing, which is definitely needed. I don't understand what happens with
this crazy artsd-madness-program, and I think I'm some kind of power-user.
Linux audio sucks because of this, right now, for me. esound, artsd,
polyaudio, jackd; theire all the wrong solution for this problem. The
correct solution is that alsa needs to be redesigned so that it can switch
from direct hardware access (hw:0, 1, etc.) to dmix or jackplug and back
again on the fly without the user noticing it. The second thing that needs
to be done is to remove artsd from all linux audio machines around the
world so that noone ever will have crazy problems with it again. At least,
I wont to get rid of it on the machine I'm currently working on.
Unfortunately, I'm not the administrator of it, so I can't do that.

(No, I don't want any help in fixing the artsd-thing, right now I just
want to hate it)