Re: [linux-audio-user] What parts of Linux audio simply suck ?

From: Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Mon Jun 20 2005 - 11:19:30 EEST

> While I agree, I do recognize that OSS provides a nice,
> consistent cross-Unix interface for audio.  There is lots
> of value in that.

I agree that OSS has two advantages:

* easy to use via /dev/dsp and /dev/midi
* Cross-Platform

But I also agree that ALSA has lots of advantages over OSS.

> There's something sort of unfortuante about the "L" in
> ALSA.

Yep, it is, but I'm just happy about this. Maybe some day it
will happen that ALSA will spread on other systems, too. I
know that this is a licencing problem, BTW.

Best regards

    ce