Re: [linux-audio-user] ubunto + realtime performance

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 21 2005 - 20:26:40 EEST

Last Monday 20 June 2005 23:13, Atte André Jensen was like:
> Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > So maybe my small csound partition should be demudi....

You may like it, you will see ... ;)

> Which reminds me:
>
> * Is demudi still based on a debian, and if so which?

A/DeMuDi-1.2.1 is based on Sarge, 1.3 will be based on Etch (probably). There
is a reasonable chance that Etch won't take as long as Sarge to develop.

> * How often are demudi's software updated? Floating uptates or official
> releases?

Floating. Official releases come out once the system is stable. 1.2.1 will
probably be released once the problems with the 2.6 kernels are resolved
(looks like soon). There is a vague roadmap here:
http://demudi.agnula.org/roadmap

> * How stable in use and robust to upgrades is demudi compared to
> debian/stable, debian/unstable and ubunto?

I'm recording my album with it. A/DeMuDi _is_ Debian stable with a multimedia
kernel and more up to date or specially recompiled audio packages. Ubuntu is
nice for people who find Debian daunting and it is working towards better
multimedia integration, but it may require more effort to get everything else
working nicely. A/DeMuDi has contributed to the Custom Debian Distribution
project and also uses some Ubuntu packages (e.g. Xorg). Lines of
communication between the two distros are pretty open AFAICT.

A/DeMuDi delivers a working audio system as easily as Ubuntu delivers a
working desktop system. Judging by the number of people using DeMuDi packages
with Ubuntu, I'd guess that the bumps and wrinkles of using the two together
could be ironed out quite quickly. I think the best place to focus
Debian-based multimedia development is A/DeMuDi, both projects cycle packages
back into the Debian tree, so everyone benefits in the long run.

P.S. Sarge is the sweet spot right now. It's stable and reasonably up to date.
Remember that the apt-get system allows you a lot of flexibility. Blah.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk