Re: [linux-audio-user] Mentor for Debian Official 3.1r-0a (Sarge) and Linux Audio

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 25 2005 - 08:12:28 EEST

Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> writes:

> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 18:32 -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
>> Do you have an idea of how many packages need to be fixed? Is it just a
>> matter of a new deb of a fixed version of nptl?

Unfortunately, NTPL is part of libc. That is not a package
distributions are eager to update, because *everything* depends on it.

> It just needs the patch that I posted, check the bug report. That's
> what Ubuntu did for Hoary, it's NPTL 0.60 with this and a few other
> critical bugs fixed.
>
> But none of this changes the fact that Sarge for audio is a non starter,
> you'll still have to run unstable.

It works fine for me, using the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL workaround for the
NTPL bug.

It *is* annoying that they didn't fix it. But, I think the problem is
that Sarge was frozen for so long and they didn't want to perturb the
whole release by dropping a new libc. I would't blame them for that.

--
  joq