Re: [linux-audio-user] Keyboard software and hardware

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 17:14:30 EEST

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 at 22:16 -0700, Shaun Jackman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like a simple keyboard for plonking out notes to help me learn my
> choral music. First, I'd like a piece of software that accomplishes
> this by using my usual PC keyboard.

I bet there's more than one but I'm not familiar with them.

> Second, I'd like actual keyboard
> hardware that can operate by itself, or connected to a computer
> through either USB or MIDI (preferably both). I don't want any
> extraneous features on the keyboard, although I'd be interested in
> hearing what features people find particularly useful. Velocity
> sensitive keys that feel like a piano to some degree would be a major
> plus, but that mostly depends on the difference in price. Any
> suggestions?

I got a M-Audio Radium61 and I'm happy with it, although it doesn't
exactly match what you're looking for. Take a gander at this page:
http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.list&ID=midikeyboardcontrollers

In particular look at the Keystation line as some of those are weighted
or semi-weighted, and are otherwise simple (no knobs and stuff), and so
one would hope cheaper for the same number of keys (or higher quality).

Oh, and you should be able to find those cheaper than the MSRP prices
listed there. And I'm not positive that every one of those keyboards
works with linux so you might ask about that specifically here when you
have narrowed it down (no matter who makes the keyboard you're about to
buy).