Re: [linux-audio-user] Best (saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 16:58:35 EEST

MarC wrote:

> Today I wouldn't recommend hobbyists should use Linux Audio because in
> this way they will always be hobbyists...

Actually, hobbyists will always be hobbyists until they acquire
professional levels of skill *and* put themselves to the test of
performance and/or distribution of their material. The gear they use
will not elevate their skills one jot. Owning a guitar does not confer
ability upon the owner.

I will say this about modern music technology, regardless of platform:
It makes a lot of bad music sound much better at the surface level.

> However, in my case, I've found Linux Audio very interesting to learn
> a lot about the audio software implementation (obviously because of
> the open source mentality) and also for understanding what kind of
> things can be done (for a user/developper point of view). But for
> productive work I simply can't recommend it because Pro Tools,
> Reason,..., and a huge availability of VST plugins are too far from us.

Strange, I use VST plugins with Linux quite a lot here at Studio Dave.
Ardour seems to work pretty well for me too, and its price point is more
attractive to me. ;)

Best is to use what works for you to make your own music.

You can also thank whatever gods you believe in that M$ didn't make the
WAV format as proprietary as the DOC format...

Best,

dp