Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mellotron sounds

From: John Check <j4strngs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 19:03:26 EEST

On Thursday 30 June 2005 06:33 am, Neil Durant wrote:
> James Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > Let me know if I can be of assistance, if you need raw Mellotron
> > > sounds. I own a Mellotron M400, with new remasters of the following
> > > tapes:
> > >
> > > 8-choir
> > > M300 strings
> > > Cello
> > > Mk-II strings
> > > Russian Choir
> > > Church Organ
> >
> > If you are willing to provide full length samples of these, I would love
> > to put a soundfont together. I think there is some difference in sound
> > depending on pressure as well? Perhaps a layered font would be a good
> > idea.
>
> There is some difference in sound depending on pressure, but I'm not sure
> it's a desirable difference. Generally speaking, if you play the note
> properly, it sounds good, if you play it harder there's no noticable
> difference, and if you play it softer the sound starts to fade out and
> break up, as the head gets further from the tape.

It'd be desirable in as far as training someone to be a mellotron virtuoso.
As you infer, there's probably not a lot of call for that at present.

> I'd be happy to sample the full lengths of all 35 notes for all six sounds,
> storing them as wavs. I don't have a lot of spare time these days, so I'll
> let someone else have the pleasure of cropping/editing!

I'd be willing do it. I did the one called "mellotronia" that was floating
around. I never quite finished it, but the source had limited potential

> I wonder what the legal situation is regarding making soundfonts of these
> recorded sounds...anyone know?

Someone mentioned copyright but the chances of getting sued are pretty slim.
It's not like we'd be eating Chamberlins lunch