Re: [linux-audio-user] Best(saving *time* and some money) linux souncard for a laptop

From: MarC <marc_lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 17:23:29 EEST

En/na Paul Winkler ha escrit:

>On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:20:01PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
>

>>The tascam has excellent pre-amps (at least for that money), XLR-inputs,
>>analog inserts, phantom power, direct monitoring, no software-controllable
>>mixer (no hassling with several different programs each doing their settings
>>and disturbing your sound) and is fully powered over usb (even phantom
>>power). And with a recent computer you can get 5ms latency easily, at least I
>>get them with my pc and the tascam.
>>
>>What else do you want except more channels?
>>

>a better reputation :)
>Some googling suggests that user experience with these
>runs the gamut from pretty good to awful.
>Of course, most of the problems are reported by those running windows...
>
>but if you get it working, it seems like very good value for money.

The tascam specs look very good.
But I've taken a look at the user experience and I'm quite worried. I do
want to save time with it and it seems that some people have trouble to
work with it. Moreover, I want to use the card to record the output of a
electrified-acoustic guitar so the dynamic range is critical and I'd
hate to hear its sound clipped.
I quote sbdy's words: do you think he may be right or simply he's not
setting the volumes/config correctly?
As I already said, I want it to work either on Linux or on Windows...
That's why this man worries me... (Excuse me if it is "slightly
off-topic"...ehem... to quote sbdy's using winxp... Oh... I think that
Noah will get angry again...;)

http://www.studioathome.com/ftopict-35.html
<<
At last! Someone who got their 122 working!
SNIP
I have a number of problems:
1/ The mic preamps are not nearly powerful enough. I use a Sure beta
58a. But I can put up with this.
2/ The driver seems to mix very hot so most audio output is permantly
either on the edge of or actually clipping. An example of this is some
of the Windows warning sounds clip!!! I cannot put up with this.
3/ The mixer is pretty narrow - I can only select "Recording" controls
to adjust but actually the only channels available are "Output". I can
put up with this.

So, I can record, and the audio quality of the thing in record is
fantastic, but way too quiet and I get distorted output.

Since I've had the 122 for too long to change it anyway I'd like to get
it working and clearly at least one person has got theirs going
successfully.

I use Windows XP on a 3GHz P4 and Cubase VST 5.

I normally trust more the negative opinions as I suspect the manufacter
to be googling the main forums to post positive reviews...