Re: [linux-audio-user] Using Linux as Bass amp

From: Neal Otto Spaulding <nealos@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 21:26:36 EEST

> Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 11:46:40 -0400
> From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Using Linux as Bass
> amp
> To: A list for linux audio users
> <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
>
> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005 16:19:12 +0200
> Christoph Eckert <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
> wrote:
>
> > I just ordereed an electric bass (passive). I'd
> like to
> > directly plug it in into my soundcard and to use
> Linux as an
> > amplifier (and record it to ardour, of course).
> >
> > As I'm not yet familiar to basses and guitars yet,
> I wonder
> > what I should use for the bass.
>
> You're not really going to be able to do this, at
> least not well.
> The signal put out by the passive bass is not going
> to be enough to
> get a decent sound, no matter how you process it
> with plugins.
>
> I just talked to my bass-playing son, who
> recommended looking at DI
> (direct input) boxes, and suggests that if you
> really need to do this on
> the cheap, Digitech makes a line of effects pedals
> for the bass that
> have both amp and mixer output jacks, and that the
> mixer jack will be
> OK to plug right into a soundcard. He recommends
> the Bass Driver pedal,
> which will give you some good sounds. If you have
> an amp (either bass or
> guitar), you might have an output on there that'll
> do the trick as well.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> --

> Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant -
> jh@email-addr-hidden
> \Without deviation from the norm, "progress" is not
> possible. - FZappa

Hi,

This is my first post to this list (or any list for
that matter) so, if something's awry, I apologize in
advance.

I wanted to endorse the suggestion of using a DI box
to get a decent bass signal into your recording gear.
I've had really good results with my bass through an
inexpensive Behringer (DI-100) that runs around $35.

Good luck,

Neal

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com