Re: [linux-audio-user] no sound card

From: <mchristoph.eckert@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 16:39:41 EEST

> But I have two questions :
> (1) How it's possible to verify that ALSA is enabled or
> not in the kernel ?

If you want to know if alsa is already running on your system do
'cat /proc/asound/version' or 'cat /proc/asound/cards'

If this fails, maybe it is installed but not loaded. Try executing
/etc/init.d/alsa status as root.

If this fails, then your system is not running ALSA-lib. Besides
the kernel options (see below), you need to install and add
alsa-lib to your boot sequence.

If you're familiar with kernel building, see the kernel config.
Disable OSS and enable ALSA. Do not forget to enable snd-usb-audio.
And disable Drivers/usb/usb-midi and usb-audio (both are OSS
drivers which otherwise will conflict with the ALSA snd-usb-audio
module).

Best regards