Re: [linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 21:28:07 EEST

Last Monday 04 July 2005 17:16, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net was like:
> > I have to disagree with that last statement. To me over-produced is
> > over-processed. It doesn't sound like you suffer from this problem. I am
> > all too familiar with watching a song die in the studio due to it having
> > been rehearsed to death before we began, then the writer decides to
> > change an important part of the arrangement five minutes before the red
> > light goes on. Then the engineer decides to compress the life out of the
> > bass, drums and vocals. By the time the keyboard player has done the 43rd
> > Hammond take, the band has lost interest. All the vocals go down flat
> > because the producer is obsessive about matching vowel sounds and timing,
> > using extreme editing and pitch correction, where none was needed. This
> > style of arranging/production frequently fails to come up with a final
> > mix as there is always something to fix or add, basically because you
> > didn't get it right the first time.
>
> I suppose this is where professionals like yourself and amateurs like
> me differ.

Who are you accusing of being professional?-)

> Sine I do everything myself, I do it all at once.  In
> fact, it would drive me bonkers trying to work any other way.  I think
> production has a different meaning when you have no producer ;)

The word 'producer' has many meanings in different contexts. Most of us on
this list perform all the roles, granted. It's still useful in terms of
discussion to define which part of the creative process we are referring to.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk