Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 18:06:55 EEST

On Thu, 07 Jul, 2005 at 01:04PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms spake thus:
> On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:50:40AM +0100, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> >
> > Wow. I liked the original and this new version is superb, too.
>
> :)
>
> > I loev this kind of music - intricate beats make me smile - but for
> > some reason I rarely attempt to create anything like it. I tend to
> > get fed up with endless twiddling and moving drums.
> >
> > Do either of you have any hints?
>

> Just don't move and twiddle drums endlessly ;-)
> Get some drumloop (or create one yourself) and create samples from
> it starting on the 2nd, 3rd ... quarter and on 'and' positions after
> 2nd or 3rd quarter. Play them from a keyboard, experiment with
> transposing them, using the same sample pitched differently.
>
> If you want to program a drumloop to be sampled like above, try to
> make it funky (1/16 pulse), with a much slower tempo as the final
> one. Transposition and/or time-stretching makes for more interesting
> results.
>
> For programming breakbeats directly, think about the results of
> triggering drumloop parts on varying 1/8 note postions. Program
> velocity and perhaps micro-timing accordingly.
> Choose a beat and don't put any snare or bass drum on it, like
> playing around the 4. Or use the bass drum instead of the snare
> and the other way around for part of the drumloop.
>
> Hope that helps!

Interesting. I have played with loops like you suggest, but I use a
tracker and the offset command. One I did a long time ago is at
http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/dasub.ogg

For some reason, I never thought of creating a loop myself and then
pulling the same trick. Now that you've said it, it seems like the
obvious thing to try.

Thanks for that.

Oh, and my only ever attempt at doing it all by hand:
http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/dn505.ogg

I'd love to be able to create something as nice as Photek's remix of
Brown Paper Bag. It still gives me shivers.

James

> Thorsten Wilms

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)