Re: [linux-audio-user] Call for collaboration

From: Shayne O'Connor <forums@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 10:50:39 EEST

james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul, 2005 at 10:51AM +1000, Shayne O'Connor spake thus:
>
>>james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
>>
>>>On Wed, 13 Jul, 2005 at 10:25AM +0200, Christian Schumann spake thus:

>>>Bloody hell!
>>>
>>>That sounds amazing! It's not what I was expecting at all, but I'm
>>>very very excited about it.
>>>
>>>Do you have the guitar parts recorded separately? I'll put them in
>>>with the rest of the stuff, get the levels right and shufty things
>>>around so that they get the space they need in places.
>>>
>>>I love where this is going.
>>>
>>>I wonder what Shayne's been up to?
>>>

>>http://blog.machinehasnoagenda.com/files/sv_WIP_vocals.ogg
>>
>>this is just a *very* rough copy of what i hear for this track ...
>>haven't had *any* time to polish it or learn how to sing it properly:
>>hence, some of the more, er, "intense' parts may sound a little
>>strained, etc ... but i wanted to throw this up so others could give me
>>feedback, or if they wanted to do backing tracks, or even sing it
>>themselves ...
>

> Nice lyrics! I know you say this is just a rough cut, but could I
> have the vocal track as it is anyway? I can start piecing things
> together maybe at the weekend and get something sorted with guitars
> and vocals in the mix from the original - which should sound better
> than just everlaying them because I can make room for them properly.
>
> Good job! I think these will fit well with the Christian's guitar
> part.
>
> I wish I had time to do this today, but I really don't.

ok, i redid the vocals - sound a *bit* better - but seeing as you wanted
the first ones, i've included both in a tarball:

http://blog.machinehasnoagenda.com/files/sv_wip_vocals.tgz

there's two .flac files in there, vocal_1 is the first vocals i did,
vocal_2 ... you guessed it ... these are totally dry and have only had
some normalising in the way of processing - please, at least put some
reverb on them :D

i'd gotten my inspiration for the lyrics and melody before hearing
christian's guitar, and i didn't want to listen to it that much in case
it put me off what i'd come up with - in any case, between my
contribution, christian's, james' and yours should be able to mix up
something pretty damn good (most of james' stuff comes before or after
what i sing, i think, so it could work well ... i don't know).

also, i've always liked my voice doubled-up ... here's a quick mix with
my two vocal versions and some reverb:

http://blog.machinehasnoagenda.com/files/sv_WIP_vocals.ogg

have fun

shayne

btw - the .tgz file is 11mb ... let me know if there's any problems, or
anything else you need.