Re: [linux-audio-user] what distro do you use?

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 14:29:10 EEST

Last Tuesday 19 July 2005 22:05, michael@email-addr-hidden was like:
> You guessed right, mostly. It's also so that when people say "why don't
> you use Debian" I can have something to say other than "I've never tried
> it".

By the opposite token, this thread is making me consider setting up a gentoo
partition on one of my machines, just to try it out. I'm running pretty
low-end (recycled even) hardware, so compile times may force me to build a
small specific set-up as suggested.

BTW: Debian / DeMuDi for 3 years and counting. Ubuntu is good for general
desktop / client machines, great for newbies, I got fed up with hoary after 2
weeks and decided that a few extra features didn't compare to sarge's broad
based stability. That said, I'm finding Ubuntu very useful for frontline
advocacy so I'm using it on the two client machines at 'work'.

I have now come to the conclusion that all Debian based systems, especially
A/DeMuDi and Ubuntu are now easier to install _and_ configure than Microsoft
Windows XP as well as being much easier and safer to upgrade.

I think that's a neat turnaround. ;]

> Both somewhat weak answers, but part of the Linux culture seems to be
> trying new things out, eh?
>
> And there never seems to be an end to the old machines that can be
> resurrected by Linux.

Indeed!:)

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk