Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

From: M P Smoak <smoak@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 18:53:18 EEST

On Thursday 28 July 2005 08:57, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul, 2005 at 12:31PM +0200, Burkhard Woelfel spake thus:
<snip>
> > Improvising rhythms with my mouth, recording 8- to 16 bar
> > periods and rewriting them with an instrument is a technique
> > I like.
> >
> > Freewheeling might be a nice tool for that. I use a
> > dictaphone with a professional player to transcribe it, one
> > of these machines with a foot switch.

I just starting to do something like that using audacity (with
mic input from mouth, hand or flute beats) and really wishing
for a foot switch. I guess there might be someway to do it via
a midi foot controller??? but I'm not in the mood to get any more
new technology right now. So I'll probably switch to rezound and
use its "wait for the audio signal" to start recording feature.
Know of any other "hands free" tricks I could try?

Also can you explain what you mean by "professional player" and
"transcribe" above? ie player is person or machine, and transcribe
is to written chart or audio track?

> > The approach "makes the sheet less white" for me, gives the
> > beat a natural gesture. The rest of the job kind of
> > crossword puzzle hacking - something to get you through the
> > night ;-)
>
> I like this idea. I can't help but hum and beatbox my way
> through imaginary music, or even along with what I'm listening
> to, so this would probably work OK for me.
>
> When I wrote ATT, I'd spent all morning humming the bass and
> beatboxing the beat, but I never thought of trying to
> translate from that into the music in such a pure way. I
> actually sat there doing it in slow motion and trying to work
> out what I was actually doing.

I know exactly what you mean. I play better than I read. And I
often have no idea what "I did" after an improv when playing with
our group. We're now recording some of our sessions and I'm
recording some my practice time. It's help my understanding
quite a bit. (and that's helping my reading.)

> Which all seems strange, because I can work up a complex beat
> with my mouth, but have trouble knowing exactly what it's made
> of.
>
> Oh, and I'm being immodest calling what I do betaboxing - it's
> more like rhythmical salivation, but the rhythm's there.
>

> > BTW, nice to see all the music and collaboration efforts
> > going. Good stuff!
> >
> > - - Burkhard

I'm glad to see the discussion of Collaboration; very useful, I
think.

Marv