Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Jul 28 2005 - 15:57:08 EEST

On Thu, 28 Jul, 2005 at 12:31PM +0200, Burkhard Woelfel spake thus:

> On Thursday 07 July 2005 18:01, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 04:06:55PM +0100, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > > Interesting. I have played with loops like you suggest, but I use a
> > > tracker and the offset command. One I did a long time ago is at
> > > http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/dasub.ogg
> > >
> > > For some reason, I never thought of creating a loop myself and then
> > > pulling the same trick. Now that you've said it, it seems like the
> > > obvious thing to try.
> > >
> > > Thanks for that.
> > >
> > > Oh, and my only ever attempt at doing it all by hand:
> > > http://dis-dot-dat.net/content/music/dn505.ogg
> >
> > Doesn't sound like you could learn much about breakbeats from me ;-)
> > Nice tracks.
> > Only one suggestion: try to layer beats, use 2 pairs of snare and
> > kick.
> > Thorsten Wilms
>
> Improvising rhythms with my mouth, recording 8- to 16 bar periods and
> rewriting them with an instrument is a technique I like.
>
> Freewheeling might be a nice tool for that. I use a dictaphone with a
> professional player to transcribe it, one of these machines with a foot
> switch.
>
> The approach "makes the sheet less white" for me, gives the beat a natural
> gesture. The rest of the job kind of crossword puzzle hacking - something to
> get you through the night ;-)

I like this idea. I can't help but hum and beatbox my way through
imaginary music, or even along with what I'm listening to, so this
would probably work OK for me.

When I wrote ATT, I'd spent all morning humming the bass and
beatboxing the beat, but I never thought of trying to translate from
that into the music in such a pure way. I actually sat there doing it
in slow motion and trying to work out what I was actually doing.

Which all seems strange, because I can work up a complex beat with my
mouth, but have trouble knowing exactly what it's made of.

Oh, and I'm being immodest calling what I do betaboxing - it's more
like rhythmical salivation, but the rhythm's there.

> BTW, nice to see all the music and collaboration efforts going. Good stuff!
>
> - - Burkhard
>

> - --
>

> Libre Audio, Libre Video, Libre Software: www.AGNULA.org
>
> Public key available here:
> <http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xFD82303B>
> key FP 0A65 5E83 F44F 47A5 3DFC 19C5 7779 E411 FD82 303B
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFC6LQNd3nkEf2CMDsRAs8YAJ99vQO+joRTN1sHP85D0hYWtRNtTgCeMMmY
> b6tUPAU7Pf2ZK23DegqrIQE=
> =8Tue

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)