Re: [linux-audio-user] Hard disk housekeeping

From: anahata <anahata@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 13:24:17 EEST

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 10:48:16AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> I dont think its that simple, theres not a linear mapping between the
> sector numbers and the position on the disk, and in any case theres
> multiple platters.

Multiple platters no problem: for performance reasons sequential sectors
are always read from all platters in one head position before moving the
head.

The mapping isn't plain linear, but it will follow a reasonably smooth
head movement or disk cache "elevator" algorithms won't work optimally,
nor will long sequential transfers.

> Historically disk benchmarks used to show higher performance near the
> "start" of the disk (low numbers I guess)

Yes, so maybe I was wrong and the low numbers are at the edge and the
high numbers in the middle.

> Overall I'd say it doesnt matter too much, modern disk are fast enough

Agreed :-)

--
Anahata
anahata@email-addr-hidden -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk