[linux-audio-user] Re: Linux Audio Direction

From: Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 14:37:53 EEST

Mark Constable:
> On Monday 01 August 2005 23:20, Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen
> <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> > You make it sound like a one way street all about the developer(s).
>> > A "project" cannot survive without users. If users do not use the
>> > software the developers are sweating over then that software project
>> > will go nowhere and die. Every bit as much as us users leach the
>> > efforts of developers is the developers need us as users or else
>> > their efforts will come to nothing... they also need to pay homage
>> > to their userbase... or another project, that does so, will succeed
>> > in the long term and their baby will not.
>>
>> Extremely provocating rubbush!
>
> I am talking about "projects" that both developers and users happen
> to be associated with. I don't see what's provocative or in anyway
> rubbishy about a statement like "a project cannot survive without
> users".
>
> If you develop software for your own needs then great, if some other
> people also happen to use it then power be to your software... but I
> hardly see how that software compares to major core code that the
> rest of us totaly rely on... like the kernel, ALSA/JACK, X/desktops.
>
>> In addtition to general generalisation, you make programmers seem like
>> some mindless robots slaving for their users. Personally, I don't care
>> very much whether my software is used. That does not matter. Its the fun
>> of making new types of software, and that I need the software myself. If
>> others like the software too, thats great!, but its normally not of very
>> much importance for whether I keep developing or not.
>
> And so goes your project(s). I wasn't talking about the kind of project
> where someone like yourself does not care if anyone else uses your
> sofware... that is not the backbone of the larger and really important
> major projects we all absolutely depend on.
>
> I'm talking about the survival, or not, of core projects that, if
> successful, will be used by many MILLIONs of users in the next decade.
> Some of the software we use today will become major international
> institutions over the next 5 to 10 years... and I'm very sure the
> current progeny that evolves and survives the next few years will be
> the ones that are most end-user friendly.

Okey, with those clarifications, I can to a certain degree agree with you.
But I will also add that your tone about users and developers where
provocating, which led me to write what I wrote. Some peope are
pure developers, but most of us use our own software as well, and
even for core-projects, the reasons for devloping are probably quite
diverse.