[linux-audio-user] CD ripping, burning etc and dev question

From: Greg <gkjoyce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 06:34:41 EEST

Hi list,
short question: is CDparanoia still the standard for ripping /
encoding music? (xiph.org/paranoia was last updated in 2001)
more rambling: I want to protect my cd collection from destruction and
make use of an older computer by outfitting it with a large hard disk
and devote it to storing my music collection. I want to make a script
that more or less automatically rips a CD to my preferences. So I
want a command line CD ripper.
The "grand" vision: to eventually make a low res GUI that displays on
a small LCD or TV to rip music and navigate the music library.
Specifically what i would want is to have attractive buttons that call
other programs and some sort of basic file browser capability. What
do you think would be the smartest (easiest) language and packages to
do this with?
my thanks,
Greg