Re: [linux-audio-user] CD ripping, burning etc and dev question

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 15:28:31 EEST

Greg wrote:

> short question: is CDparanoia still the standard for ripping /
> encoding music? (xiph.org/paranoia was last updated in 2001)
> more rambling: I want to protect my cd collection from destruction and
> make use of an older computer by outfitting it with a large hard disk
> and devote it to storing my music collection. I want to make a script
> that more or less automatically rips a CD to my preferences. So I
> want a command line CD ripper.

cdparanoia still seems to be the standard (grip, the GTK-based ripper,
has a builtin cdparanoia by default)

> The "grand" vision: to eventually make a low res GUI that displays on
> a small LCD or TV to rip music and navigate the music library.

Look around on freshmeat.net, there may be already be something out
there that does this.

> Specifically what i would want is to have attractive buttons that call
> other programs and some sort of basic file browser capability. What
> do you think would be the smartest (easiest) language and packages to
> do this with?

I'd use Perl or Python with one of the many GUI packages available for
these languages. But like I said, there is probably something already
available that does what you want.

-- Brett
Programmer by day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.chapelperilous.net