RE: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 20:52:19 EEST

On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 07:16 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 21:54 -0500, pjfjacks wrote:
> > Just wish I'd taken better notes along the way...it pains me greatly.
> > Everything but MIDI was working so well. Totally shameful as the XP system
> > hums right along ...this isn't right at all..
> >
> > Phil J.
> >

> > Eh, I've wiped out my systems a bunch of times, and it's always a lot
> > faster to get your settings back the second time.
>
> phil, you are getting some very poor advice here, i am not sure why.
>
> system reinstalls are *NOT* the way to solve problems with linux.

Hey,

I only said a reinstall might be a good idea as Phil had installed
Ubuntu (which worked perfectly AFAICT, except the MIDI thing which I
think was a config error), then added a Demudi source to his
sources.list which I don't think is supposed to work, and which really
hosed things (lost the network).

So he asked me if a Ubuntu reinstall is the best way to go from here and
I said probably. Obviously don't reinstall if you have data you care
about!

Maybe this was poor advice. However when I was a new Linux user and
really hosed things I often found a reinstall was teh quickest and
easiest way to get back to square one.

I'd actually be quite impressed by any newb who could install a Debian
based system correctly the first time.

Lee