RE: [linux-audio-user] Newbie Linux user Struggling with MIDI

From: pjfjacks <pjfjacks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 01:48:44 EEST

Hi Lee,

Yes, it installed and ran perfectly the first time. However, the full
install of Ubuntu proved a bit much for that little 333 mhz machine, so
I had to do more or less a custom install - install the minimal Ubuntu
(server install option I think). Apt-get some pieces, get synaptic, and
then selected apps. As far as I can tell, a correct install the first
time....

Phil

Hey,

I only said a reinstall might be a good idea as Phil had installed
Ubuntu (which worked perfectly AFAICT, except the MIDI thing which I
think was a config error), then added a Demudi source to his
sources.list which I don't think is supposed to work, and which really
hosed things (lost the network).

So he asked me if a Ubuntu reinstall is the best way to go from here and
I said probably. Obviously don't reinstall if you have data you care
about!

Maybe this was poor advice. However when I was a new Linux user and
really hosed things I often found a reinstall was teh quickest and
easiest way to get back to square one.

I'd actually be quite impressed by any newb who could install a Debian
based system correctly the first time.

Lee