Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 00:21:38 EEST

davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:

>Brad mentioned VST Plugins in an earlier post. I've had no luck at all
>with any of the Linux methods.

I hope you've looked at my page on using VST plugins under Linux. I also
hope you read it *carefully*, because running VST plugins under Linux is
non-trivial (IMO).

First, some updated stuff: Kjetil has essentially abandoned his
vstserver project in favor of other interesting involvements, so your
better bets now are either jack_fst or the dssi-vst bridge. I've
recently got the DSSI stuff working under Demudi so I'll add some more
material to the VST tutorial Real Soon Now.

> I have dozens of VST and VSTi Plugins, and every single one of them works.

Same here, but inconsistencies abound. Some work under vstserver but not
under jack_fst. As I said, I've only started to test VST plugins under DSSI.

>This shows that IT IS POSSIBLE. I find it amusing that to run VST or
>VSTi plugins, I had to install a piece of Windows software. It makes me
>wonder if the future of music production using GNU/Linux is to run (entry
>level) Windows audio software under WINE.

Well, it probably won't happen here at Studio Dave. ;)

Why "amusing" ? After all, they're designed for only Windows and the
Mac, so I find it more astonishing than amusing (but I'm also coming at
it from the advantage of someone who has the jack_fst stuff working).

Best,

dp