Re: [linux-audio-user] Again on sudden and occasional Jack crackling sound

From: Salvatore Di Pietro <salvuz_78@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 01:17:04 EEST

Jack O'Quin wrote:

[cut]

> What happens if you omit --enable-posix-shm? System V shm seems to
> work better on Linux. POSIX shm is mainly used for OSX.

Tried that. I'm still testing it...

64 frames/buffer leads to crackling after a minute or so. Ok, I somehow
expected that as it's consumer hardware.

Pushed jackd to 128 frams/buffer, fired up xmms with xmms-jack, and in a
terminal, half a dozen " ls -R / & ".

It seems more robust to my "pound" script, as it takes more pounds to
wreck the sound, (but also more pounds to restore it)

But sometimes when I fire up ZynAddSubFX, the sound wrecks again...
Tried that up to 2048 frames/buffer :(

Moreover, using jack_bufsize, or resizing buffer within Ardour, causes
complete muting of output sound (bit not clients death, as it was
before), until I restart jack.
Notice that this "complete muting" only affects the output ports, i.e. I
can continue recording with qarecord, or ardour, I just cannot hear (and
monitor) anything anymore until I restart jack and its clients.
Also the crackling problem only affects the output ports, as I pointed
out in the first post (and on jackit-devel)

What other tests can I do?
Thank you

ciao

--