Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 22:54:26 EEST

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 07:31, Mike Jewell wrote:
> Here's more of a philosophical question. Can someone help me understand
> why installing an app like Gnome Wave Cleaner on a "standard", clean
> Linux distribution like my Fedora Core 3 from CCRMA is so d??n
> difficult? Shouldn't all these libraries, etc just already be there? I
> can maybe understand the unusual ones like "fftw" (Fastest Fourier
> Transform in the West) but why all the missing Gnome components? It's
> probably only me that's missing something but it seems to me that Linux
> is never going to become even close to mainstream (maybe we don't want
> it to be mainstream) until it gets a good, consistent across all
> distros, way of installing apps that just works.

I did not follow the whole thread, but... most probably there is nothing
"missing" as gnome is installed and all libraries are there (probably).
You may not be aware that most packages that deal with libraries that
can be used for development are split into two packages, the "normal"
one has all the libraries that programs that were built with this
dependency need to run, and then another package usually named
"xxx-devel" that has the stuff you need to actually _build_ packages
that need that particular library. If you are missing something try to
install NAME_OF_MISSING_LIBRARY-devel (if you find the "base" package,
of course, otherwise you will need both).

-- Fernando