[linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

From: Mike Jewell <mj405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 18:13:44 EEST

On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 04:16 -0700, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > I'd come down there and sweep the floors
>
> That's my job! I also clean the crt screens and recycle the
> water bottles.

Dang! Just when I thought I'd found my niche...

But back to this library question...
I wrote:
> **It then complained about libgnomeui. When I ./configure that one I
> get:
>
> checking for libgnome-2.0 >= 2.0.0 libgnomecanvas-2.0 >= 2.0.0
> libbonoboui-2.0 >= 2.0.0 gconf-2.0 >= 1.1.11... Package libgnome-2.0
> was
> not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgnome-2.0.pc'
> No package 'libgnome-2.0' found

It seems like my dependency problems are because the various package
metadata (.pc) files don't exist. After getting the source and
rebuilding them (libsndfile and fftw), the .pc files were now in place
(/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig) and the gwc build successfully got past those
points.

So, why do I not have the .pc metadata files in my FC3 even though the
actual library files were there (in /usr/lib) all along? Is this what
Fernando is talking about when

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> I did not follow the whole thread, but... most probably there is
> nothing
> "missing" as gnome is installed and all libraries are there
> (probably).
> You may not be aware that most packages that deal with libraries that
> can be used for development are split into two packages, the "normal"
> one has all the libraries that programs that were built with this
> dependency need to run, and then another package usually named
> "xxx-devel" that has the stuff you need to actually _build_ packages
> that need that particular library. If you are missing something try to
> install NAME_OF_MISSING_LIBRARY-devel (if you find the "base" package,
> of course, otherwise you will need both).

This reminds me that when I installed FC3 from CCRMA, I choose NOT to
install any of the "Development" packages like:
"Development Tools"
"X Software Development"
"Gnome Software Development"
etc

Would installing these have prevented these dependency problems?

I thought I'd try to go back and add them from the FC3 CDs but when I
check them and say "go" I get a "Packages Not Found" error pop-up saying
installation cannot continue because a bunch of packages could not be
found like netpbm, xorg-x11-libs, glib2, pygtk2, gtk2. So now I can't
even add packages from the original FC3 CDs I installed from. 8^(

help.... 8^)

Mike
Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio