[linux-audio-user] usb-audio enquiries

From: pX <xaccrocheur@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 14:01:40 EEST

Hi there

I've been reading the list for some weeks now, but did not see anything
related to USB, so I'm just asking : Is *my* setup "viable" ?

Athlon2000XP TBird
256Mg RAM (I know, I know:( )
Novation X-Station 25, latest firmware (1.3)
Agnula/Demudi 1.2.1b
Gnome
Hydrogen => Jack => Ardour

And, heck, *everything is working smoothly* (Ardour is amazing, really
amazing), exept for one detail : The monitoring is crackling, buzzing,
no wait, only crackling.
But when I look at the waveform, in Ardour, it looks pristine, I'm
pretty sure that if the cracks heard were actually recorded, I'd see
them on the waveform, right ? I think I tried everything that jack
allows in terms of bitrate, and frequency.

Everything is package-based, and being the lamer that I am, I'd really
like to keep it this way. To put it another way : I never got any
tarball to compile properly, even the slightest windowmaker applet.

Basically, what I want is multiple (up to 16 I'd say) audio tracks, and
hydrogen sync'ed to it. Is that even english ? I hope I'm making sense,
please excuse me if I don't.

What I expect from this quistion is something along the lines of :
# Nobody ever had satisfactory result with USB-Audio in Linux (ouch)
# Get at least the double more RAM, then come back
# Have you tried <this>

Thank you very much, feel free to redirect me to the archived threads if
this very subjet has been addressed before, and again, please, forgive
my bad english, I'm really doing my best.

Keep stompin'

-philippe

--
www.halluci.net