Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 13:52:25 EEST

On Friday 05 August 2005 21:27, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 16:10 -0400, davidrclark@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> > It makes me
> > wonder if the future of music production using GNU/Linux is to run
> > (entry
> > level) Windows audio software under WINE.
>
> Wrong, obviously, the future of Linux music production is using native
> Linux audio applications under Linux.

Absolutely.

WINE is very useful for crossover environments and the work that has been done
in this area is awesome, but IMO a potential distraction. Native GNU/Linux
tools using common protocols and standards (like ALSA/JACK/LADSPA) are the
way to go, otherwise we will simply maintain our reliance on proprietary
vendors. The day I can afford this entry-level Windows software, I shall be
sending my money to the LADs with feature requests instead. I find it a much
better investment of my time and energy right now.

Obviously YMMV, but it does have to be said.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim