Re: [linux-audio-user] keyboard recommendations ?

From: pX <xaccrocheur@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 16:39:03 EEST

somewhere around 08/15/2005 02:35 PM Dave Phillips submitted that:

> Greetings:
>
> I'd like to buy a MIDI keyboard, not a synth, just a keyboard. I'm
> looking for something with at least these capabilities:

> (...)

Yep, IMHO, currently the Novation "remote" line has a *really very good*
keyboard. KBs feel is crutial for me (but I still suck at KBs, another
story). I have another old, just-MIDI KB by Novation (mm10X), and it is
horrible, the feel is light, cheap and heck, I hate it and anyone would.
And I tried a lot of KBs recently just to get mine.

Honest, here in France, (where the "MIDI controller" offer is strangely
crowded), in a given store that displays all the currenty offerings, by
Edirol (Roland is really lowering their stds w/ those, anyway) M-Audio,
Midiman and friends I have to say that this Novation series had the BEST
"keyboard feeling" that was present. It feels *a lot* like the (great,
but another matter of personal taste) Ensoniq EPS Keyboard, that I loved.

Here's the beast
http://www.novationmusic.com/product.asp?id=2&Type=1&bArchive=False

Oh, and it does a bit more than just a MIDI KB, it presents a range of
various MIDI controls, such as 8 sliders, great to emulate Hammond tone
weels, or to control the (or just the KBs part) mix table, transport,
and plenty rotary controls.
I personally love the feeling of the pitch-bend/modulation controller,
witch is very important to me.

It works either by USB (IN/OUT), or in plain ol' MIDI, or BOTH, witch is
very handy.

It can work off batteries, but I never tried.

And last but not least, it's heavily Linux-Compatible. Basically plug,
boot a Deb-based distro and you'll see it listed in the messages, along
w/ all vendor details, very reassuring indeed.

Don't confuse it w/ the "remote 25 (or another number of notes, there
are 4, me thinks) *audio*", later renamed "X-station" line, because they
double as SoundCard, and stand-alone Multi-effect&Synth (K-Station)

One last word : I don't know if it's me but I never saw such price
differences between stores, and while Novation's site mentioned
something like 750€ (ouch) I managed to get it for 500€ !??? (keep in
mind that mine is the AUDIO version, the MIDI-based remote will be WAY
LESS expensive...Mm... Here
(http://www.playback.fr/novation-remote_25-3272.html) it's 369 €, still
pretty stiff for "just" a controller...

Oh, and YES, you guessed it right, I love this machine. My last two
cents : Get a NOVATION XSTATION 25
http://www.playback.fr/novation-xstation_25-5380.html and you'll have
ALL in ONE. Hell, you'll always need it ;)

Rockingly yours

pX

--
www.halluci.net