Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

From: <davidrclark@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 23:42:09 EEST

Hi again Ron,

On another topic, you posted:

> Or why does Linux only require one cold reboot for
> every 10 or 20 of Mac OS 9?

My experience has been that Linux audio requires 10 to 20 times as many
reboots as Windows audio, the opposite of all other applications. The
Linux kernels themselves, if left alone, are very stable.

> Well, by stating it you are implying that it is your
> opinion. My experience is different. I find Linux
> audio production to have fewer distractions than Mac
> OS 9.

No, that's not my opinion. I stated exactly what my opinion was. Please
don't misrepresent it.

> Linux is far beyound a research platform.

Nor did I say that it was solely a research platform. It is much more
well-suited for research than Windows. IMO there is no competition there,
not only in audio but in other fields as well.

Since 1997, I've used exclusively Linux for everything but audio, finances,
and digital photography. Prior to that, I used it at work at a semiconductor
company, so I completely agree with you on that point.

Regards,
Dave.