Re: [linux-audio-user] Distortion -- bad speakers or cheap soundcard?

From: Steve Fosdick <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 04:11:59 EEST

On 14/08/05 04:32:53, e. j. branagan - the MUSE wrote:

> Some sound cards (noteably Soundblaster) introduce a whole new type of
> distortion sound. They don't sound like digital clipping, because they
> are clipping at 44100hz, then resampling to 48khz before converting to
> analog (or visa-versa).

Interesting.

My experience of the very cheap soundblaster (the one based on the ES1371 chip) is that it can't handle the full 16 bit range without distortion when either recording or during playback. I had always assumed that this distortion was occuring in an VCA mixer stage but re-sampling is another possible explanation.

As to why CDs play correctly - normally the link between the CD-ROM drive and the sound card is an analogue one and the D/A converter being used is the one in the CD-ROM driver rather than the sound card. This will, of course, work at the 44100 Hz sample rate as it would make no sense for a CD player to do otherwise.

Why do the sound card manufacters assume that sound cards are for fancy effects for computer games? Some people may use them primarily for that but I like to listen to music and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Steve.