Re: [linux-audio-user] Distortion -- bad speakers or cheap soundcard?

From: Steve Fosdick <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 04:16:31 EEST

On 10/08/05 17:59:11, mrmoo1231@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> My question is this: when synthesizing a MIDI file
> from timidity using a soundfont, how do I tell whether
> the distortion is permanently in the .wav file, or if
> it's just my speakers?

If you process the .wav file so it is quieter and the distortion still remains then clipping has probably already occurred prior to the data being written to the .wav file and you need to make timidty work at a quieter volume internally. If processing the .wav file to make it quieter removes the distortion then you know the .wav is clean and the distortion is happenning in the sound card or speakers.

For example:

sox -v 0.5 music.wav temp.wav
aplay temp.wav