Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

From: Tracey Hytry <shakti@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 15:29:57 EEST

David Cournapeau wrote:

> Well, this approach, as installing in /opt (or whatever directory
> without the package manager to know).....

I guess I need to learn how to write a little better? What I ment to say in my post was that I do it this way to check out if something will indeed run and if it's worth the trouble to get RPM'd.

Maybe I'm a little naive, but I thought that since I do the whole process as a local(non-root) user, that I can't write to most of /usr? Maybe I need to study up on what file permissions mean; because I really thought that since most of it is marked "-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root" when I do a directory listing, that I couldn't write over these areas.

Thanks for enlightening me.

(and as far as adding libraries from source without using the package manager - been there, done that, already know the pitfalls... that's why I try to keep a clean system:)

Tracey.